Formalizing the responsibilities of key holders

Hi,

We have never formalized the duties of key holders, so let’s do it now.

The way I see it:

• When you are in, you are opening TAMI for everyone, as long as they are behaving themselves and haven’t been blacklisted.
  • Make sure visitors adhere to TAMI rules.
  • Announce that you are in TAMI in the @ISATAMI telegram channel.
  • Upon leaving make sure that either some other key holder is in (with the key on him/her,) or that everyone else leaves too.
  • When you are last to leave, make sure lights, A/C, fans etc. are off, windows are closed if there is a chance for rain or other type of precipitation.

Anything else? Any one wants to dispute the suggested rules? Reply to this message.

I feel the first entry there is unreasonable. If I was in, especially late at night, I wouldn’t necessarily be comfortable letting people in and I’m a fairly big, fairly confident guy. I’ve had extreme difficulty getting one ‘guest’ to leave already (I literally had the police on the phone before he left). Requiring members to face that sort of situation is discrimination against those who lack (for physical or mental reasons) the ability to handle that sort of situation, IMO.

Certainly for the entire time I was an active member, leaving the door open was optional in my understanding.

I propose to make ISA messages automatic, like we wanted to do, with microcontroller and dedicated TAMI telegram.

How about deciding that the obligation to open limited to daytime.
Also means that late-nights / all nighters would turn into a perk for key-holders , which could be good from a marketing perspective as well.

I agree with the notion of automation, however seeing previous set ups and available resources - this could take a long time before it happens. Will also require maintenance and judging by camera situation, will fall back to manual voluntary broadcasting pretty quickly.

However there is also an issue with one wanting to mind their own business without having to let everyone know 1. who they are when in TAMI, and/or 2. at all if they are in TAMI.
Regarding 1. this could be solved by … automation E.g. having anonymous broadcast.
regarding 2. don’t have a solution for this in principle, but practically limiting to obligation to daytime broadcast can still allow room for nighttime privacy.

Other concepts to be used as rules or guidelines (when I did a search, these do already come under adherence to “TAMI rules” https://telavivmakers.org/index.php/רווחת_האדם_והמכונה_בתאמי
but perhaps worth stressing:

• answer the phone when it rings, especially if you didn’t broadcast on Is Someone in TAMI
  • check the calendar for events before planning work that involves a lot of noise or substantial space usage, assume that these take priority over any activity.
  • leave the place at least as clean as you found it
  • assist in soft introduction to new and prospective members, incl. replicating key, and don’t replicate key for non-members. if you’re not sure - ask until you get a definite yes.

Let’s say TAMI telegram account will post automated message at 00.00 to 08:00 that “TAMI is currently closed”, even if the door is open. Implementation is trivial, and such a command can be easily overridden by user who wishes so.
If, on the other hand, the status of the door is “open”, and we know that noone is supposed to be in, we can call the place, check the “theoretical camera”, and make sure we didn’t forget to close, and noone is stealing our stuff.

Of course you are not obligated to open the door to anybody, especially late at night, or if you are busy and cannot keep an eye on them, or are uncomfortable for any other reason. We cannot force people to do that.

On the other hand, it is reasonable that key holders (in other words, active members who regularly work in the space) take some measure of responsibility for not destroying the place (or letting others do it) while they are there, and for shutting the place up properly when it is time to leave. Not even sure in what sense this would be news to anyone, or deviate from the rules or principles that have been posted since forever or from common sense.

As for the computer automatically determining whether there is anyone in the space (at least during reasonable opening hours) and updating the status online, that is already planned. And as for the people who keep leaving soldering irons on, lights on, windows open, letting in banned people, not sweeping the floor, or whatever, they are being highly irresponsible. If it would get you instantly fired from, e.g., a machine shop, industrial or academic lab, or commercial office, you probably shouldn’t be doing it at TAMI either.

Are you talking about like at Noisebridge? They have “members” and “non-members”. (“Members” are people who are vouched for by at least 2 people, have spent at least 4 weeks at the club, and are approved by 100% of existing members. Members can also be kicked out by a decision of 100% of the (other) members.)

TAMI (I believe deliberately) does not have “members”, just people who regularly show up there and people who do not. Keys are for the convenience of those people. It is known that some (just a few) of these people are not responsible, so you can discuss what you propose to do about that. I think that if someone is well and truly causing problems then they should not be coming to work there; who cares if they have or had a key at one point?

Once the New and Improved door (this is proposed, not installed yet) is installed, we will switch back to electronic keys (again, this is just proposed, don’t panic). You may remember these keys from the demo. There are some proposed (and not decided yet) differences from the demo, for example do we want to enable the Noisebridge-style token where any member who trusts somebody can activate their key for 30 days so that it opens the door from 10:00 to 22:00 (or 7:00 to 23:00 for power users)?